DIY: Lace Printed iPhone Case




I recently got an iPhone and I've been desperately needing a case for it since I perpetually drop things. My friend gave me an old one of hers that was just the cheapy acrylic kind from Forever 21 or H&M ($5-$7). It was all beat up and I love to give things makeovers so I decided to revamp the case. I knew I could spray paint it and it wouldn't rub off and I was trying to decide if I should make a stencil for it or not when it came to me! I had seen a million people use lace and spray paint to create cool effects. So I got out some lace swatches and my spray paint and got to work.

Step 1: Spray the case a flat color

I chose white for mine since the only colors I had lying around were white and black. There's no need to sand the case or anything the paint should stick by itself. Make sure you give it 5-10 minutes to dry each time you apply a coat of paint and be sure not to stick your fingers on it while it's still wet. It's a lot like painting your fingernails, as bad as you want to test it out, resist the urge. Make sure you hold the can far enough away to get an even coat and go slow. If you don't use spray paint very often it's important to do some practice runs on something you don't care about. You should also always crack a window. 











Step 2: Test out your print

You'll never know what kind of effect each lace pattern will cause so I tested mine out and chose my favorite. I ended up choosing the one that was easiest to see the pattern still after being painted. 




Step 3: Spray away

Then you're ready to go. Make sure you have a big enough piece of lace to cover the whole case. It's also wise to tack the lace down to whatever surface you're spraying on that way your pattern won't get shifted. Be sure to spray straight down and not at an angle that way you don't have anything weird going on when you take the lace off. After you've sprayed it take the lace off right away so it doesn't get stuck to the case.



Step 4: Finishing up

Once my case was dry I rubbed the inside and outside with a paper towel just to make sure there wasn't any residue coming off. Remember you want to give it a good 10 minutes to dry. I sealed it by spraying it with a little hairspray to make sure none of the paint would rub off. It's been a few days now and all the paint looks exactly like the day I did it. It hasn't rubbed off or smudged. Leave me a comment if you have any questions!



0 comments:

Post a Comment